Counting calories, exercising, and mindfulness are all common tools for weight loss. But one critical tool that people sometimes fail to consider is music. The right song at the right time can drive through that last mile. It can take your mind away from the stress and away from late night refrigerator raids. Lastly, a timely tune can inspire you through the hardship, the self-loathing and to a new you.
I can testify to the power of music in curbing the calories and the negative thoughts. I could name 100’s of songs that kept me going in my 170 lbs. weight loss journey. More importantly, music has been instrumental in keeping the weight off.
Each person is different. My songs may not be your songs but here are my Top 5.
- Theme from Rocky – This one is my favorite song for two scenarios. First, it is hard to stop going no matter how tired you are when you here the first note of the Rocky theme. Many times, I was on my last leg only to go another mile after hearing Rocky. Second, I have a food strategy based on the Rocky theme. The equivalent of an Apollo Creed, first round punch is my weekend eating habits. In my case, I tend to eat too many Smart Points (unhealthy calories for you not in WW) on Saturday after a long week and my Saturday weigh-in. I usually end up with very few weekly Smart Points by Sunday. That is when the first chime of the Rocky song comes into my head. The rest of the week I eat healthy, exercise and gain back some of the weekly Smart Points. The whole time that I am doing the Rocky strategy the tune is running in the back of my mind. If you want to use this strategy, here is a link to the Rocky Theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=liPSTWdYiKs
- Don’t Stop Believing, Journey – There were many reasons for me to give up when I first started losing weight. Tipping the scale at over 350 lbs. with sleep apnea and a heart condition to boot, it was hard to believe I would ever turn it around. Roadblocks and obstacles stood around every corner. But, that is when I would crank up Journey and run through the stirring chorus “Don’t stop believin’, Hold on to that feelin” . The feeling and dream that I held on to was I could again be healthy. NEVER stop believing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0
- One Thing Remains, Jesus Culture – This may be the least traditional weight loss song, but to me this is the most important. Self-hatred and fear were two things I had to overcome both in getting healthy and life in general. When you don’t know were to turn, you should seek love. To me, Jesus is love. And as the song goes “His love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me”. This has become my favorite song when facing the negative thoughts and fears running through my mind. I am forever grateful for our Life Teen Minister for introducing it to me. Another benefit of this song is I sing it so loud when it comes on that I am sure to drop a pound or two. For you have not had an opportunity to hear it, here is a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_KXsMCJgBQ
- Shake it Off, Taylor Swift – My cycling instructor Corey often mashes up songs with those of Taylor Swift to inspire us. He says that Taylor Swift goes with everything and he is right, especially when it comes to weight loss. Besides the song being so danceable that you must move, its lyrics are compelling. To paraphrase, if you have a bad day, instead of eating a bag of M&M’s just shake if off! I included a link just in case you were heading to the refrigerator now to drown your day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM
- YMCA, Village People – This is a no brainer. First, it talks about going to the gym! So, if you are thinking about staying on the couch, just turn this oldie up. Second, it is even more danceable than Shake It Off and it comes with its own choreographed dance moves! Last some of the lyrics resonate including the initial ones “Young man, there’s no need to feel down. I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground. I said, young man, ’cause you’re in a new town. There’s no need to be unhappy.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeADaAg0f_w
Get happy and lift yourself off the ground! Find your own songs or use these to melt the pounds and become healthy!